loss of hearing sense can have a huge impact on your life. You have to deal with many people daily, whether you are in the office, home or wherever, you have to listen to the people and sounds coming from the surroundings.
Hearing aids can be a reason to make your life easy if you have lost your hearing. It is a small electronic device that can be customized according to the situation and requirements. It helps the people to listen to the sounds of people talking. All the hearing aids come with a microphone at least, to pick the sounds. It contains a microprocessor to amplify the sounds. It contains a speaker that sends the signal to your ears so that you actually hear what is going on.
How Does It Help?
It is a battery-powered hearing device with a processor which amplifies sounds so you can listen. These are made to improve your hearing senses. It is a small device that you can put behind the ear so that you can hear sounds loud and clear. It usually comes with three main parts a microphone that picks up the sounds, an amplifier that is used to amplify and clear the sounds. It also comes with a speaker that sends the signals directly to your ear.
Hearing Aid Types1:
There are many types of hearing aids in the market, you can get them easily, depending on what is prescribed by the experts. Hearing aid designers make sure that it fits everyone. You can customize them according to your need. Below are some of the types of Hearing Aids:
- Completely in the canal (CIC): It is made to fit completely in your ear canal. It improves the hearing at the standard level. They are the smallest and least visible in size, they have the noise cancelation feature, they have very small batteries and they usually do not have extra features. You can suspect that it will clog with ear wax.
- In the Canal (ITC): It is the type of hearing aid that partially fits into your ear canal. They are custom-made for some specific users. In this type, mild and moderate hearing can be improved. It is less visible in the ear than in other styles. Due to its small size, it is difficult to adjust for some people. It can be clogged with earwax.
- In the Ear (ITE): It is custom made and comes in two styles. The one fits in the bowl type area and the other one fits in the lower part of the canal. They both help people who are suffering from mild or severe hearing loss. They are small in size therefore volume control button option is not available. They are easy to handle and have a large battery for a longer period. They might pick up wind noises than any other type. They are usually visible on the ear.
- Behind the Ear (BTE): They can hook over the ear and the control unit is behind the ear. This main unit connects the earpiece with a small tube that fits in your ear tube. It is the type of hearing aid that can fit all ages. It is traditionally the largest type of hearing aids, it has directional microphones. They are capable of amplifying sound according to your need. They may pic more wind noises than other types. They come with rechargeable batteries.
- Receiver in The Ear: this type of hearing aids fits in the ear canal directly but its outer unit is placed on the back of the ear. It comes with a smaller behind-the-ear unit. It has directional microphones and it has manual control options. They are susceptible to ear wax clogging.
- Open-Fit: This type of hearing aid might have many other variations like behind the ear, in the canal, or the canal tube. It allows the low-frequency sounds to come into the canal naturally. It is a good choice for people with low-frequency sound problems. They are often visible, often it makes your sound better to you. It can be difficult for you to put it in the ear because of its non-custom dome.
There are some other features you might to add to your hearing aids so you can improve the ability to listen to the sounds.
- Noise reduction is the ability to cancel the sounds coming from the outside of the ear. All the hearing aids come with a noise reduction feature. In some types, it varies from model to model. People usually want to cancel the wind noise, they can have a customized hearing aid for this feature.
- Hearing aids might have unidirectional or multi-directional microphones to pick the sounds in a better way. Some variants come with the feature of focusing in one direction. These microphones help you in the background with full of noises so you can focus on what you want to hear.
- Some of the hearing aids have rechargeable batteries. It allows you to use your device for a long time and you do not have to charge regularly. You can have a customized battery size depending upon the requirements.
- Wireless technology is the future, you can connect your hearing device with your smartphone via Bluetooth. You can listen to your calls and your favorite music. They connect with apps on your phone to increase the user experience.
- They might have a feature of audio in which you can connect any other device with your hearing aid like a TV, computer, or any other audio device with a wire.
Before Buying a Hearing Aid:
First of all, you have to make an appointment with your health expert to diagnose your hearing problems. You should clean your ears before the check-up. You should consult a reputable audiologist2. He will assess your problem and help you to choose the appropriate device for you. You have to ask for a trial period before buying a hearing aid. You should as if the device is upgradable or not, in case you have to change something from it. Hearing aids can only help to enhance the sound for you. It cannot completely restore your hearing so beware of the scams.