It is usually termed a crossover because it is a cross of a car and SUV. However, these days it is becoming popular and making its own identity in the market.
It is usually referred to as a cross between an SUV1 and a car because of its characteristics. These days everything is like a crossover but if we look closely at the actual crossovers, we might conclude some key points which differentiate them from the other vehicles. Today shoppers are confused between SUVs and other towing vehicles but there is a big disadvantage of SUVs in terms of fuel efficiency. Crossovers filled the gap of performance and fuel efficiency.
What to Look For?
When you look for an SUV, it comes to your mind whether you should buy an SUV or a crossover. We have to do our research before buying such vehicles. It all depends on your need and usage. Many people are confused between them. First of all, you should consider the following specs:
- Fuel Efficiency
- Towing power2
- Payload Capacity
- Off the road features
You should also consider some of the following characteristics before looking for a crossover:
- External Roominess
- Comfort of driving
- Overall riding comfort
Although these points might direct you in the right direction the variety of these vehicles is growing day by day making it more difficult for shoppers to choose the right option.
Difference between a Crossover and an SUV:
First of all, the main and very technical difference between an SUV and a crossover is the ladder frame and unibody frame. If you are still wondering what is the difference between SUV and Crossover then believe me you are not alone. So, a crossover is a vehicle that is slightly taller than an ordinary car but not tall as an SUV. They come in a wide range of sizes and specs. But in general, people believe that a crossover is in between a car and an SUV. They have a cargo space right next to the passenger compartment. They come with four doors and all-wheel drive usually. Unlike SUVs, they are built on basic car-like platforms, on the other hand, SUVs are built on truck platforms.
Which is Safer, Crossover or Sedan?
It might not be wrong if we call crossover scaled-down SUVs. In terms of security, many people claim that they are safer than cars but the fact is no car is safe when you are driving carelessly. These days with technological advancements, many manufacturers are providing safety features beyond imagination. It is a prophecy that if it is a crossover then it will be safer than a car but things are different when you are on road. More people are buying crossovers, in these circumstances, we can say that roads are not safe as they were before.
Top Rated Crossovers:
There are many compact crossovers on the road. People are buying more crossovers than sedans or any other car. Many car makers are manufacturing crossovers with full potential and day by day improving the features. Some of the best crossovers are as follows:
- Mazda CX-5: It is the most luxurious and without any splendid price tag crossover yet. It is more than just a comfortable crossover; it drives as a crossover should be. It comes with a 10.3-Inches touch screen infotainment system. In this section, it is the largest factory-fitted screen. It has dial type options that are rid of the buttons. It has many roads safety features like an automated braking system, airbags, pedestrian detection, lane warnings, and keeping assistant. Its base price is around $25,000.
- Volkswagen Tiguan: It is the biggest offered vehicle in this section. It comes with a 184-hp turbocharged engine with four cylinder types. It is smooth and fuel efficient in its category on highways. It delivers a comfortable drive but if you are looking for a sporty feel then you might be disappointed. It comes with a business like interior with a minimalistic design. It is currently offering seven seats in the passenger compartment. It is priced around $24,000 to $26,000 and comes with optional all wheel drive.
- Honda CR-V: It is a well-rounded Turbocharged non-hybrid crossover. It comes with a 190-hp turbocharged engine. it has a hybrid version too. It has plenty of space in the passenger compartment with luxurious interior and great feel. It comes with a 7-inches touch screen infotainment system with Android Auto Integration. It comes with all standard safety features like cruise control, lane assistant, ABS, and forward-collision warning. Its base price is around $26,000 and comes with optional all wheel drive.
- Toyota Rav4: It is the epitome of rugged looking crossover which is not far from comfortable. It is non-hybrid comes with 203-hp 8 speed automatic transmission. It is quicker than Toyota Supra but its loud 4-cylinder engine is not sustainable. It is priced around $27,000 and comes with an optional all wheel drive.
- Ford Bronco Sport: It is nothing more like a party crossover which is a bottle opener. It can be seen that it has come for a party. Its looks clearly match with its capabilities. It comes with the 181-hp turbocharged standard engine. it has an eight-speed automatic transmission system. It comes with 8 inches touch screen infotainment system. It comes with a base price of around $29,000 and standard four-wheel drive options.
- Mitsubishi Outlander: It is a new generation Outlander which shares its powertrains with Nissan Rogue. It comes with 181-hp four cylinder and CVT type engine. it comes with a standard front-wheel drive but all-wheel drive is optional. There are not enough options in it. It comes with a price tag of around $27,000 and an optional all-wheel drive.
- Nissan Rogue: Over the period it is an improved version of it. It is made with good attention to details which the last one lacked. It comes with standard features and a beautiful interior. It comes with more passenger volume and cargo area. It is priced around $26,000 and comes with an optional AWD.